Monday, February 17, 2014

Refining - February 17th, 2014

My name is Hermana Hurst. And I am not a Barbie...
Okay, now that I got that out of the way... (:
What a wonderful past week I had! It's been a little bumpy lately, but my
attitude is changing; my heart is changing, and there is nothing more that
I could have asked for.  I've began what I like to call "a refining" of
myself.  I am realllly striving to attain Christ-like attributes and slowly
weed out the things inside of me that keep me from reaching my fullest
potential.  This has to be the greatest decision I have ever made.  I love
the Book of Mormon.  I have always known that it is true, but let me tell
you, it IS true!  I have never experienced such a joy, such a light from
this book.  It is like I never want to put it down.  My eyes are open, my
mind is enlightened.  The best part about it, I think, is that I feel like
it relates soo much to me even more now because I am among the Lamanites.
I feel like this is basically my road map saying "okay, if you turn here,
then you will be able to reach this person." Because these are the people
who have hardened their hearts and carry on in the false traditions of
their fathers.  But the Book of Mormon, all throughout, tells of
how Lehi's posterity will receive the gospel in the latter days. Hello (:
Wow. It is so incredible!  I just feel like I had been missing a very
important part about that book every other time I have read it before.  Now
when I testify to people, yes, I may say the same words, "I know this
book is true and you can too if you read it..." or whatever I may
say...but when I say it now, I mean it. And I mean, I reeeally mean it.
Wow.  Such things to learn!  What a progression this is.  And a refining
must take place. I think what I love the most about this all is that I am
becoming converted myself!  And I'm even learning how to humble myself
before the Lord.  Although I have a long long way to go with that, I have
experienced Milagros because of it.  #1. reason I believe that to be true
is because I can speak Spanish!  Now, don't get me wrong, I still have
miles to go, but wow.  What a vast improvement that happened when I all the
sudden decided to truly plead with my Heavenly Father for help.  He
has heard me and He has answered.  In fact, the Branch Mission Leader last
correlation asked me if I had been eating more chilis because my Spanish
had really picked up! (They always joke about how you can't be Mexican if
you can't eat their spicy peppers...which I have been doing a lot of.  I
need to toughen myself! ha ). Oh and not to mention, he thought I was doing
so well, apparently, that yesterday during sacrament meeting as the closing
announcements were being said, I got a fun surprise as this same man
announced my name for giving the closing prayer! No
warning. Surprise! Anyways, my abilitly to learn the language has truly
been a tendermercy from the Lord. And that makes so much sense! Because,
like we read in 1 Nephi 15:8, Nephi asks, "Have ye inquired of the Lord?"
And if we haven't, why not! He can't answer a question that hasn't been
asked. And He can't help us if we don't ask Him for the help. I love that!
This refining is coming slowly as I really, truly just realize that I have
so much to learn and that I cannot do it alone.  I read this the other day
and I just love it! It's D&C 50:40-41,44
"Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must
grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth."
"Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the
world, and you are of them that My Father hath given me;
"Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone
of Israel.  He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall."
And I KNOW that is true.  He that buildeth upon the rock of our Redeemer
shall never, ever fall.
I just absolutely love my little family here in my little Mexico.  What an
opportunity this is!  And hey, where else will you find that it is 90* in
February...yes, 90*...I'll cry later...haha oh man, though, I love it here!
I love my family here.
haha on a fun note (: I love being in primary!  This cute little girl
ALWAYS comes and tries to play the piano with me...it's a hassle haha but
it works out okay!  She pretty much sits on the bench with me the whole
time...Now I know how you felt, Ma. heh heh.
Other than that, just jeepin' away in Moab!  We hit this crazy trial
yesterday on the way to a member's home (because literally, their roads are
just crazy dirt trails some places) and our car was not havin' it!  The
Elders were just laughing in their little jeep...Well, our little car did
fine (because I was driving, of course haha), but it was an adventure for
sure!  and SO. much. fun! (: The desert is sweet! Lovin' it! Livin' it! I
may regret those words in July...but we'll see!
Tenga una Buena semana! (:
Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment